Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Hate Hospitals

Although, after the past few months, I'm not sure my sanity has remained in tact.

At the end of February, Emmy's face started getting red - on one side. Her eye was swollen. It was hot and hard. I took her to convenient care. With her diabetes, they didn't want to mess around, so they sent her to the ER. The ER said she had dry skin, gave her an antibiotic and asked us to follow up with the pediatrician.

We did. He said the oral wasn't working and gave her a shot of rochephin. She was to return the next day for another. When she did, he said it wasn't working and sent her to the ER. They admitted her. After 24 hours on IV rochephin, it seemed to be spreading, so they put her on clindamyacin.  (oh, I'll probably spell all of this wrong... just deal with it. I'm too tired to look it up. ;-) ) I kept asking doc to call her endo. She was not concerned about her bg levels.  After 4 nights/5 days, she was released on an oral antibiotic. She had not yet finished it when it seemed to be getting worse.  (It was a 10 day course, we returned to the doctor after 7 days.)

She was sent back to the ER and admitted again. This time, they tried another IV antibiotic which I've now forgotten the name of. The doc on call this time was actually concerned about her high blood sugar (doc number 1, who was the same as doc #3 seemed unconcerned with readings over 300.  Don't even get me started on HER.)  However, this doc was in contact with her endo, so I felt a lot better. Again, after 4 nights/5days, she was released.   She was sent home with oral amoxicillin. (Seemed awfully weak to me, given what she had been on.). That was a 7 day course. At the end of the 7 days, the redness was back. It was her check up from her admission - and they sent her right back to be admitted.

Now, I"m starting to get mad. Why aren't they fixing this? Why didn't they even draw blood at admission #1? She'd had a clear CT scan at admission #2 and no signs of infection on labs with admission #2. So, they start questioning whether we were giving her her meds? Are you even freaking kidding me? I understand they have to ask, to rule it out, but once it was confirmed that that was NOT the case...WHY would they not start looking at "maybe this isn't what we think it is."  Again, I had to call her endocrinologist myself, because God-complex doc didn't think the high sugars were significant. They said minimum 7 days admission on IV vancomyacin. This is some seriously strong stuff. Well, after 2-3 days, she didn't look any better, her sugar was still too high - so we started talking transfer.

On day 4, Emmy was given an ambulance ride to the Children's Hospital where her endo works. They also had a pediatric infectious disease doctor there. I had to take the four year old with me - 24/7, so that was fun. However, we were given a space at Family House, so at least we didn't have to sleep in the van.

Less than 24 hours after our arrival, the ID doc comes in and says he doesn't think she ever had any infection. WHAT?????? And that he thinks she has an allergy. He took her off of the antibiotics (they were giving her the vanco and another on top of it.) and put her on Zyrtec and Flonase. Again.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

She was released the next day.

So, that's where we are now. I'm not sure who to believe or what to believe. BUT.... her blood sugars have been within normal range 90% of the time since Saturday night. This has not happened in a long time.

She goes to the pediatrician tomorrow. I will be demanding an allergy panel.

Other than that, I'm exhausted and I need time to clear my head and catch up on work.

I just needed a place to record this. So...um, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment